Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Clarks of Athen's Town??



N65.57
This Earthenware Jug is a wonderful example of stoneware from the potter from Athens New York that utilized the wonderful clays of New Jersey and Long Island to produce beuautiful buff colored objects that would have ranged from this simple utilitarian jugs to later pieces that would be more ornate.

The lighter color and slight pocking have the tell tale signs of a slat glazed earthenware. And As Ipeered in to see the dark slip I thought about the name and of cousre thought of the Clark's of Cooperstown, but there was another piece that I looked at next that was also listed as Clark and Co., but I had no idea why Athens?
F696
The next piece on the shelf is a milk bowl, I think. It has a pouring spout and looks like similar objects I have seen at the Buttery in The Farmers' Museum. It has the name of Clark and Co. Thanks to the internets I found out about the founding of the potter businesses of The Clark's that started in the Athens and then as the Erie Canal opened, the & Co was added when they opened a new shop in Lyons New York.
Knowing a general timeline of when they added the Co, I would put the jug at the earlier of the two. Nathan Clark took over in 1819 and sold his wares all over New York and even into the Southern United States. I think the jug is very early 19th but the later could be 1830's to 1850.
The milk bowl has the classic cobalt blue in the form of a single ear of corn but also around the handles on the sides. This looks to have been thrown and I believe the handles would have been simply pinched or hand formed not fixed with a slip. It has the dark Albany slip inside and is salt glazed.


I have IIKEA plates is this the same as that or is it nicer. Just a few questions.

No comments: